We’re a global team working to shape agriculture through breakthrough innovation that will benefit farmers, consumers, and our planet.
- Level: All
What does it take to be successful here? Check out the traits below to see if you have the right combination of talents.
- Embraces Inclusion & Diversity
- Entrepreneurial Aptitude
- Driven & Organized
- Working in a Matrix
Who We Are
Bayer successfully completed the acquisition of Monsanto in June 2018, bringing together Monsanto’s leadership in seeds and plant traits with Bayer’s leadership in chemical and biological crop protection. By joining forces, we will create even more extensive career opportunities for talent around the world. We’re a global team working to shape agriculture through breakthrough innovation that will benefit farmers, consumers, and our planet. While we are now Bayer, we will continue to hire using separate career sites until we can integrate our career platforms.Learn More
Monsanto offers competitive pay and benefits, as well as other exciting rewards.
Insurance (Medical, Dental, Vision):
Monsanto offers a Health and Insurance Benefits Program that allows you to tailor your own benefits package.
Paid time off:
We believe we can all be more effective individuals if there's a proper balance among the various demands of work, family and life.
Internal and external seminars and conferences are available to increase your technical, professional and managerial skills.
We provide you an opportunity to save up to 25% of your eligible pay in a personal savings program to which Monsanto also contributes.
Variety and Collaboration:
Opportunities to participate in varied types of projects and get new experiences from partnerships with many organizations within Monsanto.
Bayer Crop Science is a sustainable agriculture company focused on enabling farmers around the world to produce more from their farms, both large and small. As our climate changes and population grows, we’re striving to feed additional billions safely, affordably, and with minimal environmental impact.
The Trait Delivery Program in Plant Biotechnology is seeking a highly motivated individual for an innovative role as Controlled Environment Technical Optimization Lead to develop and optimize crop system solutions as well as drive implementation of these cutting-edge greenhouse technologies into production to fully enable our biotech, biological, small molecules, and genome editing pipelines. This role involves a strong technical grasp of greenhouse-enabled crop growing protocols and process engineering to identify bottlenecks limiting success at production-scale and will require the development of innovative solutions across the Plant Production Pipeline to identify and implement opportunities for improvements.
The successful candidate will partner with stakeholders across Bayer Research and Development to understand current and future state plant production needs to enable strategic initiatives such as automated plant imaging, sizing, and movement. In addition, the successful candidate will partner with the Transformation Production teams as well as other teams in Trait Delivery to streamline growing practices for R0 production at reduced cost. The successful candidate will be an integral part of the CE platform and a member of the Controlled Environment Platform Leadership Team.
- Work with the Controlled Environment Production teams and key stakeholders to systematically identify and address key bottlenecks and plant growth challenges in current systems that limit overall productivity.
- Develop and monitor Controlled Environment production metrics and look for opportunities to optimize production processes, including development of automation solutions.
- Design experiments and associated timelines to support optimization of key bottlenecks and the onboarding of new greenhouse growing technologies.
- Partner with others in the Controlled Environment Platform to proactively address production challenges and demonstrate leadership in developing corrective action plans.
- Conduct experiments and deliver quality data to answer key questions per timelines.
- Proactively collaborate and communicate with stakeholders and inform leadership at all levels of progress and results.
- Set personal and team goals and closely track progress.
- Contribute to realizing the vision of a high-capability Controlled Environment Platform and champion a metric-driven culture with a focus on innovation.
- Promote a safe work environment and adhere to ISO standards and all compliance requirements.
- Work with other leaders in the platform and collaborators to maintain trust and understanding as well as a focus on products and operational excellence.
- Ph.D. in Plant Biology, Plant Physiology, Plant Molecular Biology, Horticulture, Botany, or related field, or a Master’s degree with equivalent experience, or a Bachelor's degree with 5 years experience.
- Two or more years of controlled environment plant biology or related area
- Self-motivated and able to influence a cross functional team to deliver results
- Experienced in analyzing and interpreting research results and ability to design robust experiments
- Highly effective verbal communication and relationship skills
- Strong presentation and written communication skills; able to communicate at an appropriate level of detail based on audience
- Detail-oriented with excellent time management and problem-solving skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects concurrently
- Must enjoy working in a dynamic, team-based environment
Desired skills (ideal candidate):
- Experience in developing and implementing growing protocols in greenhouse/controlled environmental spaces, ideally in crop species
- Proficiency in data visualization tools such as Spotfire
- Proficiency in experimental design and familiarity with statistical applications such as RStudio to analyze scientific data
- Working knowledge of quality management systems (e.g., ISO) and greenhouse environment control platforms such as ARGUS
Bayer successfully completed the acquisition of Monsanto in June 2018, bringing together Monsanto’s leadership in seeds and plant traits with Bayer’s leadership in chemical and biological crop protection. By joining forces, we will create even more extensive career opportunities for talent around the world. We’re a global team working to shape agriculture through breakthrough innovation that will benefit farmers, consumers, and our planet.
Doing Great Things
Putting Military Skills to work:
At Monsanto, we value the leadership, tenacity, adaptability, teamwork, and performance orientation skills and attributes that veterans and service members bring to the table.Learn More
Inclusion & Diversity
Creating an inclusive environment where employees of all genders, ethnicities, backgrounds and orientations feel welcome and able to contribute is core to creating a Great Place to Work.Learn More
Making a difference:
Giving is a natural part of what we do at Monsanto. As a company, we are committed to making lives better.Learn More