Big Data Engineer
Monsanto’s mission is centered on developing agricultural solutions for a sustainable future that will include a global population projected to eclipse 9.6 billion by 2050. We approach agriculture holistically, looking across a broad range of solutions from using biotechnology and plant breeding to produce the best possible seeds, to advanced predictive and prescriptive analytics designed to select the best possible crop system for every acre.
To make this possible, Monsanto collects terabytes of data across all aspects of its operations, from genome sequencing, crop field trials, manufacturing, supply chain, commercial and everything in between. There is an enormous need and potential here to do something that has never been done before. We need great Big Data Engineers to help transform these complex scientific and commercial datasets into innovative software that drives our focus on continuously improving the experiences of our customers, partners and other key stakeholders.
What you will do:
• Be a critical senior member of a full-stack data engineering team focused on creating distributed analysis capabilities around our customer and partner datasets
• Think through complex business problems and work to solve them by applying cutting edge data engineering practices
• Collaborate closely with your engineering team colleagues and with data scientists across multiple teams throughout research, supply chain, commercial and our enabling functions.
• Take pride in software craftsmanship, diving deep into code and constantly innovating
Why you should join us:
• Work with other top level talent solving a wide range of complex and unique challenges that have real world impact
• We value the exploration of all relevant technology stacks in order to find the best fit for each dataset
• We prioritize and pursue opportunities to present our work at relevant technical conferences: https://youtu.be/6KEvLURBenM
• Our environment values your talent over a role or title. Strength of ideas trumps position on an org chart
If you share our values, you should have:
• Bachelors Degree, preferred or 4+ years of equivalent experience in a relevant field.
• 7+ years of Technical / IT experience, demonstrating technical leadership in such areas as Data Analysis, Data/Software Development, or Data Support, required.
• Fluency in Java or Scala (3 years), or demonstrated mastery of another language with clear movement towards one of the JVM languages, required.
• Customer data experience, preferably international, particularly customer segmentation or other complex analytical analysis, preferred.
• Experience with stream processing, e.g. Kafka, Spark Streaming, Akka, Flink, etc., preferred.
• Experience data modeling for large scale databases, either relational or NoSQL (graph, key:value, document, etc.)
• Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems
Bonus points for:
• Proven experience (2 years) with distributed systems, e.g. Mesos, Kubernetes, Spark, Hadoop, distributed databases, grid computing
• Experience with data privacy concerns
• Ability to build and maintain modern cloud architecture, e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, etc.
• Comfortable speaking publicly on relevant work
• Experience contributing to open source projects
• Knowledge of data science practices, to better steer our efforts to support them through the infrastructure we create
We encourage you to share with us any and all public contributions you have made in the form of conference presentations, community forums (e.g. Stack Overflow, GitHub, etc.), or open source projects and code samples.