Military Veteran Seed Technician - Mason City (Multiple Opportunities)
At Bayer, helping military veterans transition from deployment to employment is a top priority. Our mission is to help our nation’s veterans build their corporate careers. We want innovative leaders who can think big, readily accept challenges, and deliver results on behalf of our customers. We acknowledge that these traits comprise the very core of the men and women who have served our country.
Our Veteran Heroes In Ag program was created to identify positions and skills to attract, hire and retain this quality talent to further improve our diverse and talented workforce. The Heroes in Ag program provides additional training, mentorship, resources for transition, and opportunities to access leadership.
Bayer is looking for highly-motivated Seed Technicians for our row crops seed production site in Mason City, IL. In this position, you will report to a Production Manager.
As a Seed Technician, you will be involved in all facets of seed production. Unlike a traditional manufacturing role, you will experience a variety of responsibilities throughout the growing season. You will be expected to work a rotating shift schedule including nights and weekends as required during peak seasons.
In this position, you will work closely with other team members to identify ways to improve our processes. We are looking for employees who are passionate about maintaining the highest standards in the industry for safety, stewardship compliance, seed quality, cost, and supply reliability. This is an opportunity to work in an environment where your ideas are heard and you’re encouraged to grow personally and professionally. At Bayer, we are committed to recruiting and developing great employees through our team-oriented culture that encourages creativity, decision-making, and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Operate equipment in the production sites and leveraging real-time data to maximize existing procedures. Perform preventive maintenance and inspections; troubleshooting problems associated with equipment, processes, and systems as needed.
- Perform Site Responsible Researcher (SRR) duties ensuring adherence to stewardship processes and protocols that are completed accurately and timely. This includes field monitoring, grower communication, and documentation of activities.
- Support areas across the plant in driving the adoption of continuous improvement practices and programs (5S, Lean, Six Sigma) conducive to an organized and clean work environment. Utilize Focused Improvement (e.g., 5WHYs) techniques to initiate process and standard work improvements.
- Provide coaching and training to seasonal workforce, area trainees and peers supporting achievement and personal development.
- Ensure upstream activities (e.g., field inspection, grower contract) are handled within company standards and business requirements.
- Cultivate partnership with key business partners to plant / field operations (e.g., grower network).
- Use SAP to support administrative procedures, documenting key readings, maintenance orders and production information. Maintain key process documentation (operating, start-up and shut-down procedures; standard work; process flow and instrumentation diagrams; etc.).
- Demonstrate knowledge of and adherence to Bayer’s Health, Safety, Environment (HSE) and Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) standards (e.g. general shop floor/machine safety and operating procedures).
- Comply with internal procedures and support compliance with legal requirements applicable to area activities.
- Participate and prepare to lead Daily Direction Setting (DDS) meetings as needed; articulating shift objectives and allocating resources accordingly across all active production areas.
- Support and maintain metrics and relevant information on current Visual Management boards to drive teamwork and facilitate shift change over.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 60 lbs. (a bag of seed) and have a valid driver's license.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Basic knowledge of IT (Internet, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, or facilities with systems)
- Valid driver's license
- Ability to lift a minimum of 60 lbs. (a bag of seed)
- Advanced education including Technical, Associate’s, or Bachelor’s degree
- Intermediate computer skills with experience using of SAP and PLC
- 3+ years manufacturing experience, with experience in chemical or row crop manufacturing
- Previous experience working in a manufacturing environment with a 24/7 rotating shift schedule, including overtime as needed
Bayer successfully completed the acquisition of Monsanto in June 2018, bringing together Monsanto’s leadership in seeds and plant traits with Bayer’s leadership in chemical and biological crop protection. By joining forces, we will create even more extensive career opportunities for talent around the world. We’re a global team working to shape agriculture through breakthrough innovation that will benefit farmers, consumers, and our planet.
While we are now Bayer, we will continue to hire using separate career sites until we can integrate our career platforms. We invite you to explore the career opportunities available at the combined company by visiting advancingtogether.com/careers.
- Customer Interface Account Specialist - Native Dutch Speaker Amsterdam, North Holland
- ESH coordinator Nagyigmánd, Komárom-Esztergom
- Territory Manager - Sales (Allahabad - Veg Div)