Texas Area Field Manager
Apply Now Apply Later Req ID 01VD2 Date posted 12/19/2018
Apply Now Apply Later
The North America Supply Chain Organization is seeking a highly motivated Area Field Manager to join our Texas cotton field team. The Area Field Manager reports to the U.S. Cotton Field Lead and will be responsible for the Western Rolling and High Plains in West Texas.
The Area Field Manager will maintain a strong relationship with growers, contracted gins, and the Aiken/Lubbock cotton production sites. The successful candidate will also be able to seek and implement best practices to improve seed quality, increase seed field yields and improve supply reliability.
- Assist in leading adherence to company sponsored ES&H and driver’s safety initiatives. Assist with ensuring that documentation for safety activities and accident/incidents reporting is adhered to in accordance with company policy. Assist in conducting periodic safety inspections, observations, and safety meetings. Promote a “zero accident tolerance” standard of safety.
- Play active role in site Off-the-Job safety programs and Community Engagement.
- Monitor all field activities including but not limited to planting, pesticide applications and harvest activities. GPS map all production fields, conduct field inspections and supervise rouging activities.
- Advocate timely and effective application of pesticides, plant growth regulators and harvest aids. Study GPS utilization for new ways to increase yield potential and grower selection. Keep abreast of all new agronomic developments and up to date on current insect, weed, disease, and fertility problems. Be an agronomic expert for production area.
- Manage Crop Plan for region and assigned area to place acres with Growers/Gins.
- Facilitate the importance of timely planting through the contracting process to promote optimum yields permitting a better flow of workload at harvest. Maintain records of proper isolation distances and promote good equipment sanitation to maintain genetic purity and increased yield.
- Production of seed for export to Company affiliates and Tolling agreements are a significant part of the overall production program. Careful attention to special needs of these customers is required, including OECD certification and phytosanitary inspections. It will be the Field Productions Manager’s responsibility to assure all isolation requirements are met to obtain the desired certification and phytosanitary certificates required.
- Observe varieties responsiveness to various planting timelines and rates, irrigation practices, plant growth regulators, harvest aids and herbicide / insecticide programs to determine best means to achieve optimum quality, yield, seed size and genetic purity.
- Create and implement a reliable method for yield estimates and coordinate those activities. Work with Crop Field Production Team to maintain a database on yields by variety by growing location. Take ownership of yield management, grower accounting and the planned order process in SAP and SAP related systems to insure accurate and timely field history, grower payments and forecast and yield estimates.
- Consult with Site Production Lead, Production Associates and QA lab personnel on bulk seed deliveries as well as quality matters that have the potential to impact seed quality and/or costs.
- Conduct year-end analysis of results and compare to benchmarks (i.e. actual yield versus targets, clean out percentages, seed quality, and field costs, etc.) Summarize any studies and/or projects. Use all summaries and analysis to make recommendations for improvements and to conduct grower and employee training.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of seed production or related experience
- Vast experience and knowledge in field production of seed and general crop agronomy knowledge
- Good communication skills to promote a successful working relationship with the growers and Gins
- Effectiveness in organizational networking, sharing ownership, supportive/coaching skills, building from inputs of others
- Computer proficiency to include Microsoft Excel/Office, ability to functionally learn geo-based mapping programs and field inspection database systems
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems while exhibiting situational judgment
Desired Skills/ Experience:
- Experience with agriculture and/or seed manufacturing
- Experience in working and/or leading in a matrix environment
- Computer proficiencies to include SAP
- Knowledge of process improvement principles such as Lean, Six Sigma
Bayer successfully completed the acquisition of Monsanto in June 2018, bringing together Monsanto’s leadership in seeds and plant traits with Bayer’s leadership in chemical and biological crop protection. By joining forces, we will create even more extensive career opportunities for talent around the world. We’re a global team working to shape agriculture through breakthrough innovation that will benefit farmers, consumers, and our planet.
While we are now Bayer, we will continue to hire using separate career sites until we can integrate our career platforms. We invite you to explore the career opportunities available at the combined company by visiting advancingtogether.com/careers.