Seed Production Technician- Lubbock, TX
Seed Production Technician
We are excited you are interested in career opportunities with Bayer. At Bayer, we are committed to recruiting and retaining the best individuals through our team-oriented culture that encourages creativity, decision-making, and entrepreneurial spirit.
We currently have an opening for a Cotton Seed Production and Packaging Technician at our new, state-of-the-art facility in Lubbock TX.
Seed Production and Packaging Technicians are involved in all facets of cotton seed production which may include: crop production, harvest, conditioning, packaging, warehousing, maintenance. Unlike a traditional manufacturing role, you will experience a variety of responsibilities throughout the growing season.
- Fall starts our busy season with harvesting and packaging in full swing.
- In the winter, you’ll be packaging, warehousing and shipping seed to ensure our grower customers have the product they need for the coming spring.
- In spring and summer, you could also spend time in the field inspecting, scouting and maintaining our cotton crop and/or performing maintenance on our production equipment.
In this position, you will work closely with and support other on-site personnel to continuously improve our processes and consistently establish the highest standard in the industry for safety, seed quality, cost, and supply reliability. You will also use knowledge of product, raw materials, and operating procedures to control equipment that is used for the delinting, conditioning, and treating of cotton seed. This position may also be responsible for the safe operation and maintenance of packaging equipment utilized to package seeds into bags or containers. Process and Packaging adjustments are made both manually and using process control systems.
Standard hours for the role are 7:00a-3:30p. During peak season (Sept-March) the facility runs 24/7 and move to a rotating 3 shift and weekend schedule with overtime. We work to be fair with scheduling but expect all employees we able to rotate all three shifts (including weekends) as needed during this time.
At times, you may be asked to support our Aiken TX (about an hour away) bulk storage facility. You will be able to use a pooled vehicle for transportation.
Scope/Specific Responsibilities of the Position:
- Overall crop production
- Operating a controlled seed production process
- Harvest receiving, loading/unloading of trailers, loading/unloading of bags or containers
- Operating delinting, conditioning, seed treating, and packaging equipment
- Collecting samples of product and perform basic in process testing
- Troubleshooting problems associated with equipment, processes, or systems
- Conducting process equipment isolation
- Issuing work permits to contractors and monitor progress and conditions of contractor work
- Assisting in the preparation, review, and approval of key process documentation (operating, start-up and shut-down procedures; process flow and instrumentation diagrams; etc.)
- Performing basic mechanical and preventative maintenance on process or package equipment
- Warehousing: organizing, moving and placing seed into storage, maintaining inventory accuracy utilizing electronic inventory systems.
- Distribution: stage seed for shipment to other warehouses and/or customers, receive seed form other warehouses and/or customers.
- Mentoring other area trainees, providing developmental coaching to peers, and setting personal development goals
- Performing housekeeping activities and others as assigned to assure a safe working environment
Required Skills & Abilities:
- High school degree or equivalent (GED)
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to do shift work seasonally
Ideal Candidate will also possess the following:
- College degree
- Prior agriculture experience
- Previous experience in a rotating shift manufacturing environment recommended with the ability to work 24/7 process work schedule, including overtime, as required
- Experience operating a fork truck
- Good mechanical and troubleshooting skills.
- Basic understanding of maintenance and E&I disciplines a plus with the ability to read and understand engineering flow diagrams (EFD) is helpful.
- Fundamental understanding of seed manufacturing process with the ability to learn a highly technical process and maintain proficiency.
- Intermediate computer skills with experience using of SAP and PLC a plus
- Strong focus on safety, teamwork and personal flexibility
- Strong written & verbal communication skills and the ability to listen
- Ability to work without direct supervision in a diverse team environment
Specific Work Conditions and Physical Requirements:
The requirements for this position involve the willingness to work in a variety of areas (control room, plant, and warehouse) including frequent walking and standing. This can include frequent work both outdoors and indoors in hot, cold, wet and dry conditions. Position requires willingness to climb with the ability to perform elevated work utilizing portable ladders and fall protection equipment within the current ANSI duty rating of the equipment which is currently 300lbs. Position involves repetitive motion and/or repetitive lifting up to 60 lbs. Overtime hours including off hours and weekend work required as needed to support the business needs.