Foundation Seed Summer Student - Cranbrook, BC
Bayer Crop Science is a world leader providing growers with innovative products and solutions for agriculture and environmental health. We are seeking a highly motivated Seed Production summer student to join our successful team for the Summer of 2019.
From your first day as a Summer Student you will be a contributing member of the team with meaningful responsibilities. Our goal is to provide interesting and challenging work while at the same time have fun and celebrate successes.
The terms of these positions vary based on environmental conditions and availability of candidates. However, the terms will typically start in April/May and end between August/September. We offer an orientation program, on the job training, a competitive compensation package, and this role provides you with opportunity to expand your knowledge.
Responsibilities: Assist the Canola Operations Supervisor in the production of canola Foundation Seed in the Cranbrook, BC area in a timely and efficient manner, while meeting all quality standards. This includes assisting with the following activities:
Field selection and preparation for planting
- Planting, transplanting, and pollination activities
- All other in crop management activities for canola Foundation Seed
- Irrigation support for all Foundation Seed fields
- Swathing and harvest activities
- Roguing canola for off-types, noxious weeds and volunteers
- Monitoring previous year’s seed production blocks for canola volunteers and assist in controlling volunteer canola
- Strict adherence to stewardship procedures
- Assisting with the maintenance of all field equipment and site infrastructure, when appropriate.
- Ensure that the field database is kept current for growers/fields
- Seed cleaning and sample processing as required
Support other site operations as required, including:
- Pre-Foundation canola operations (Breeder Seed)
- General site management and projects
- Other crops (i.e. spinach, soybean)
- Enrolled in an ag related university/college program
- Valid Driver’s License and a clean driving record
- Ability to identify the root cause of production problems such as poor yield and identify solutions
- Attention to detail and the ability to balance multiple tasks and prioritize effectively
- Mechanical skills and the ability to operate a wide range of field equipment
- BC commercial driving license (min. class 3 or class 5 with endorsement 20 – trailer >4600kg). Experience with hauling trailers and loading and unloading equipment is a definite asset.
Application Deadline: (Apply Early, Role may close sooner if a suitable candidate is secured)
Bayer successfully completed the acquisition of Monsanto in June 2018, bringing together
Monsanto’s leadership in seeds and plant traits with Bayer’s leadership in chemical and biological crop protection. By joining forces, we will create even more extensive career opportunities for talent around the world. We’re a global team working to shape agriculture through breakthrough innovation that will benefit farmers, consumers, and our planet.
While we are now Bayer, we will continue to hire using separate career sites until we can integrate our career platforms. We invite you to explore the career opportunities available at the combined company by visiting advancingtogether.com/careers.
- Customer Interface Account Specialist - Native Dutch Speaker Amsterdam, North Holland
- ESH coordinator Nagyigmánd, Komárom-Esztergom
- Territory Manager - Sales (Allahabad - Veg Div)