Monsanto is seeking a Research Associate to become a member of a multidisciplinary Canola research team at our Winnipeg, MB facility. The Research Associate will primarily be responsible for supporting activities of the Plant Breeder.
The Research Associate will have the opportunity to support the Plant Breeder in coordinating summer and winter nurseries; Seed inventory management; growthroom/greenhouse project management of up to 4 generations a year; molecular marker testing and data analysis; implementing and administering SOPs, QA/QC, and safety procedures; coordinate and collaborate with site team members; and hiring, training, and supervising seasonal staff. This is a great opportunity to work with a team of talented, cross-functional scientists seeking to deliver unsurpassed crop genetics to customers using leading edge technology.
• Field nursery preparation and planting, field plot maintenance, data collection and harvesting of nursery material
• Seed processing, seed shipment and seed inventory management
• Managing growthroom projects with up to 4 generations of advancements/year
• Managing genotyping lab projects for molecular marker testing
• Hiring, training, and supervising temporary personnel
• Participating in task-related document creation and process review for job-related activities
• Traveling to winter nurseries for germplasm evaluation
MSc in Agriculture, Plant Breeding, Biotechnology, or related field of study and at least 2 years of experience especially in plant breeding
• Familiarity with breeding and research methodologies, including nursery design, field layout, data collection, and basic statistics
• Broad knowledge of crop production, breeding and Mendelian genetics
• Expertise in marker data analysis and interpretation
• Strong computer skills related to data acquisition, organization, and data analysis.
• Documented individual leadership skills including task prioritization, excellent organizational and record keeping skills
• Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects through completion
• Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural research team
• Ability to travel overnight for off-site trials and meetings
• Experience in crop production, agronomic operations, or farming practices
• Work experience specific to Canola crop