Monsanto Canada is seeking highly motivated Canola Breeding Research Assistants for summer 2013. As a member of the canola breeding team, the research assistant will be involved in daily breeding operations and related activities. This is a unique opportunity to work with leading edge technology and talented research scientists seeking to deliver the best in crop genetics.
To ensure we are providing the best products for our farmers, the research assistant is required to work safely, diligently and efficiently, and follow high standard operation procedures accurately to accomplish our breeding goals in a time manner.
· Manage growth room projects involving soil preparation, planting, maintenance, bagging, pollination, harvesting, threshing, plant disease evaluation and other related work
· Plant tissue and seed sampling
· Data collection and analyses
· Ship and receive samples
· Participate with team to successfully maintain our high quality management standards
· Assist in other projects and perform other duties as and when required
· Pursuing a degree or diploma in agricultural science or related work experience
· Demonstrated ability to organize, balance and prioritize tasks
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both written and oral
· Highly motivated with ability to work independently
· Available to work in the evenings, weekends or holidays if needed during the peak planting, pollinating and harvest seasons
· Detail oriented
· Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and database software
· Ability to lift up to 40 lbs